- Remember that failure of the generator is not the only possible cause of infringement of serviceability of functioning of system of a charge. At identification of signs of system failure execute the following checks:
a) Check a state and effort of a tension of a driving belt of the generator, in case of need make its replacement (see the Head Dvigatel);
b) Check reliability of tightening of bolts of fastening of the generator
c) Check a condition of an electrical wiring of the generator and its terminal connections, in case of need remove oxidation products, tighten fixture;
d) Check a condition of the corresponding safety locks located in the main assembly block (see the Head Onboard electric equipment), - before replacement of the punched safety lock remove the cause of an overload;
e) Start the engine and make sure that the generator does not publish any extraneous noises, - whistle or squeal can testify to wear of bearings or brushes;
f) Check completeness of level of charging of the rechargeable battery, - you remember that damage of one of cans can lead to increase in current of consumption;
g) Disconnect from the battery both wires (at first negative) and attentively study a condition of polar plugs, - in case of detection of traces of corrosion carefully smooth out plugs, it is desirable with use of special devices, track reliability of fixing on plugs of tips of wires.
- Check the output tension of the rechargeable battery at the switched-off engine, - the result of measurement has to make about 12 Century.
- Without disconnecting the fan from the battery, start the engine and begin to lift its turns until instrument readings are not stabilized (about 3000 rpm). The result of measurement should not exceed the limit of range 13.5 ÷ 14.6 B, - the generator during the movement is obliged to provide recharge of the rechargeable battery.
- Include as much as possible consumers of the electric power (devices of external lighting, the heater fan, heating of back glass, etc.) and make sure that indications of the voltmeter remained 13 ÷ 14 V within range, - tension can temporarily fall, however has to come back to norm again (perhaps, it is necessary to increase slightly engine turns).
- At excess by the output tension of the upper bound of admissible range it is necessary to make replacement of the regulator of tension.
- Wear of brushes of the generator, weakening of brush springs, failure of the regulator, failure of the diode, break of a winding, and also damage of rings of a collector can be the reason of excessive understating of tension. The condition of brushes and collector rings can be checked visually, - in the absence of obvious damages the generator should be removed from the car for more detailed check and recovery repair / replacement.